It is good to establish protocol and policy around the use of school WhatsApp groups.
The guidelines for SETNS are:
1. The class WhatsApp group is set up by the Parents Association Committee (PAC), with the class representative as administrator.
2. These groups are intended as a convenient way to distribute important school information to parents quickly and efficiently and for parents to communicate easily with each other regarding class matters, e.g. homework.
3. It is not necessary to respond to every post unless it is requested e.g. RSVP, request for volunteers.
4. If your message is not relevant to majority of group members, please consider if it is more appropriate to reply by way of a personal message. In the event of too many messages being posted that are only relevant to a minority of group members the group administrator may request the conversation be continued outside the group.
5. Please respect the time you post. Early in the morning, late at night and during school holidays are discouraged where possible.
6. The group should not be used to post private or confidential messages or express personal opinions or gossip. Any opinions expressed are the opinions of individual members and may not be representative of the whole group. Group administrators are not responsible for any comments posted by individual members of the group.
7. Inappropriate posts include - posting promotions, using inappropriate language, personal attacks or insulting messages, bullying of any member, voicing grievances with the school or with individual members of the group.
8. For individual concerns, please raise these directly with the parent concerned, teacher or, where necessary, the Principal. For Extra-curricular activities concerns, please contact the Parents Association Committee at email@example.com
9. Please do not use the group to discuss non-school related issues.
10. The group administrator, will have the right to restrict admission, remove or ban anyone from the group without any notification.
11. By accepting a request to join the group participants agree to these group rules. Please note, by accepting the request to join, you are sharing your phone number with other parents within your child’s class. Once you join, you always have the option to leave the group.
Updated November 13th 2018